Saturday, April 12, 2014

Odd behavior for someone who eschews negativity

[Edit: I do not per se remove old posts as I consider this my internet personal history book, I have apologized for the conflict with Lorry 5 and Breezy 7 and so I ask any readers to take this and the related posts with a huge grain of salt. They speak to my poor behavior as much or more than anyone else's. See the apology: http://hiramsrants.blogspot.com/2014/05/an-apology-sort-of.html ]

Breezy:
1. I eschew negativity
2. I block and run without discussion
3. I tell people they should listen to people they are not listening to
4. I rant right in there with the best of them.
5. I point out your foibles instead of my own* and "say" I am going to run and hide as if it were a "new" idea that had just occurred to me.

My response: 
I am not going to excuse my character but to answer your question.  If I said Yahoo was the problem I would be a liar. Yahoo aggravates some flaws in my character, some tendency to want to focus on the behavior of others and thereby avoid looking more at myself, but I like to think I am willing to put it all out there as well. I had a rough childhood and I used to be a homeless alcoholic, so if I "eschew negativity" completely it would require amnesia and also probably kill me. So I think that I have to channel that negativity towards a positive.

A long time ago, that was through intelligent discussions in Yahoo chat. Later it was in Philosophy and in Poetry in Answers. Lately, the place has become a wasteland.  Most of the changes in YA! have been done to prevent "connectivity" that trait which made YA! a community but also made it a target for trolls and spammers.

So the two questions, which I ask rhetorically, are, do we (you and I) add to YA! or are we more a part of the problem, and are our personal strategies working? 

For me, your answers if honest would have to be highly equivocal, as would mine. I am not sure where the line is in social media between defending oneself and doing back what has been done to you.

Whatever your perception of the situation, I wish you well and I advise you to confront negativity, not to try and paper it over. Sometimes negativity is healing and sometimes it is just obligatory. Everything has its shadow, the more so as it is headed towards the light.

*I always tell people that when someone is criticizing someone you will always see they throw in their own failings. There is mine right there. I caught it after the fact, but I will not try and evade pointing it out.

1 comment:

  1. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140411195621AASEzwB

    Is picking a BA just to insult someone eschewing negativity? Did Yahoo make you this way or were you always like this?

    ReplyDelete