Friday, August 22, 2014

The Nature of Humor?

The Question:
Is it impossible to be FUNNY and KIND?

Funny AND kind?

My Answer:

Humor, even from the classic comedians is based on aggression and psychic disturbance. Some commenters confuse "clean" comedy with "kind" comedy but all humor is based in inequity and anger. The trouble is that inequity and anger are real, so that someone who is going to deny other people's suffering, deny inequity and deny the right to call those things out is not being gentle to me, they are selling me out. I personally think the whole range of human emotion is appropriate and that can never be fair or painless to those around us. So I have the choice between being kind or true. I don't want people who are being nice to me. I want people to be real. So I guess I am pro-comedy and anti-golden rule. If a person can't be true to their own experiences what good are they to me?


No comments:

Post a Comment